Saturday 30 January 2010

The music is in place!!

Finished writing the last piece today (well for now anyway..) and the fiddle section were amazing at rehearsal today. Fingers crossed it all holds together on Sunday, it's just so new. aaagh.

I am just so thankful for the excellent musicians who all agreed to give their time, energy and musicianship to this project. It's a lot of work for everyone at a really busy time and they are doing such beautiful things with my notes. Innes and I were joking today in the taxi that even if it doesn't hold together this group of musicians will make something that sounds fantastic out of the rubble. I love that. And the piece moves in and out of improvised and free sections so there are plenty of opportunities to stray!

The grey areas between idea and intention, communication (score/recording/notes/conversation/demonstration) and performance/product(s) are quite interesting to me and right now I really prefer to have a flexibility in each of those stages and overall.

What a steep learning curve the whole project has been so far..

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment